Home Design

The Project that Started it ALL

Before we even moved to our new house, the interior designer in me started to envision what each space could look like.  From memory and referencing the home listing photos, I drew out plans and found inspiration in Pins on Pinterest, magazine clippings, and making my own “improvements”.  One of the first rooms I designed was the dining room.  It is the first time I have had a formal dining room, so I wanted to have fun with the space and make it extra special since it will only be used when we entertain large groups of friends and family. What also made this room special is it was the first project where I used my miter saw, which opened the door for so many more projects.

The layout of the room was perfect for a bold accent wall.  My plan included adding dimension to the wall by applying strips of wood painted to match the accent wall color.  It made a bold yet subtle statement that filled the entire wall.

For this project I first painted the accent wall.  Then with the help of my best friend and fellow designer, we sanded and painted each of the boards with two coats of primer and two coats of paint each.  One of the things we had to do was scrape the lumps and bumps from the back of the boards to make them lay flat against the wall.  Another lesson, hint,  suggestion…WEAR SAFETY GLASSES when scraping the boards…Paint chips will fly and it is best they do not land in your eye (not that it happened or anything…)

After the boards were prepped and ready, we cut and installed the two vertical boards in each corner and then measured to find the center point, installing another vertical board.  A level is very handy to have to make sure your boards are square.  If each section was trapezoid instead of square the finished product wouldn’t be as impressive.  Once the center was found we could find the center of each half and install a vertical board.  Once all the vertical boards were in place the same could be done for the horizontal pieces, starting at the top and using the baseboard as the bottom.  Dividing the space between the very upper board and the baseboard by 4, we took that number, measured, re-measured, marked and custom cut each board to width and installed equal distance apart.


The finished wall is 4 sections wide by 3 sections high.  It adds decorative ‘art’ to the wall without a large, expensive canvas piece or a wall littered with a collage of frames—don’t get me wrong, I LOVE a good collage but in this case bigger and simpler was better.

The room really came together when we purchased a table to put in the space.  The only thing I will eventually change is the light fixture. I envision something longer, more boxed out with Edison bulbs rather than the fixture that came with the house. But for now it works great!

Ta Da!!!

One thought on “The Project that Started it ALL

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s